The Bishop has directed the following precautions for Masses
- He has granted a dispensation from the obligation to attend Mass on Sundays and holy days to the following persons most susceptible to the effects of the Corona virus/COVID 19:
- Those 60 years of age or older
- Those with chronic illness, and
- Those with immune system deficiencies
- The dispensation is also extended to those caring for people who are presently ill or who assist those in the three groups indicated.
- Cease distribution of the Precious Blood (Christ is full present under both species of the Blessed Sacrament
- Refrain from shaking hands during the Sign of the Peace (bow or verbal gesture is appropriate)
- Remove Holy Water from Baptismal and Holy Water fonts.
- Additional information for Individuals
- Anyone who is ill, or suspects he or she is ill, should refrain from participation in public activities, including Mass. If you need to refrain from Sunday Mass due to illness, you are dispensed from the Sunday obligation. Those who are homebound may watch weekly Sunday Mass online at adw.org/tvmass (https://adw.org/parishes-masses/sunday-tv-mass/), ewtn.com/tv/watch-live/united-states (https://www.ewtn.com/tv/watch-live/united-states) or from your local parish if available).
- For those who are travelling, please follow the guidance from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Practice good personal health habits. Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then, throw the tissue in the trash. Hands should be washed often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Educate yourself on the coronavirus. The resources linked below contain more information the coronavirus from the CDC as well as a link to the Virginia Department of Health resources.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html)
- Virginia Department of Health (http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/surveillance-and-investigation/novel-coronavirus/)
- USCCB Memo on Liturgical Celebrations and Public Health Concerns (https://d2y1pz2y630308.cloudfront.net/12494/documents/2020/3/USCCB%20Memo.pdf) (February 27, 2020)
Additionally, based on our meeting this morning, Fr Oscar directs the following are in effect for our Parish (OLBS) until further notice:
- No Children’s Liturgy
- No Sunday School classes
- No Youth Group this Sunday
- No movie night next Tuesday
- No Rosary or Stations of the Cross on Friday evenings
- No receiving of the Blessed Sacrament on the tongue (must receive in the hands)
Additional information about our diocesan efforts can be found and will be frequently updated at www.richmonddiocese.org/coronavirus. Further resources are available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Virginia Department of Health.